9th member of James Carr Veale II & Eleanor Aikman Family




It was you who did inform me that the name of George Washington Veale was in error of my first attempt to present this family tree. At this time I would like to point out that you also have errors in your historical parts. My writing comes from the family and the records of Daviess County, Indiana. (RLV)


Rather than to proceed in my normal format of using the Family Tree Maker approach to the writing of THE VEALE FAMILY TREE, this man, George W, Veale deserves a special presentation.

After, now over a decade of research, writing and combining effort of so many of the family members and direct relatives to inform those whom are a part of our history, heritage and background, something special has come up. Through the new electronic devices, such as, computers, web sites, Internet and the like, many new and more recent facts have been brought forward.

Through the web site of Richard Alan Veale, our family web master; a gentleman, contacted us with far more information on Colonel George Washington Veale I. He being: Thomas Meldrum Veale, 905 Hales Trail, Pt. Washington, WI (email: <oldcat@excecpc.com> a direct member of Colonel George Washington Veale I’s family. Tom has so graciously supplied an old family manuscript that is brilliant and so detailed that it is unbelievable.

My sole purpose of using these items in this writing of THE VEALE FAMILY TREE, namely, the DESCENDANTS OF JAMES CARR VEALE SENIOR, is to highlight one of the members within our midst who well demonstrates our History, Heritage, and Background, with glory and fame. Just hoping that by placing these items will install some pride within the younger groups of this study:

Rest assured should any part of the HISTORY OF COLONEL GEORGE WASHINGTON VEALE SENIOR ever be published, the fullest rights is that of the living members of the Colonel’s Family only and no one else’s. This family fully deserves this right and all considerations.


                               A RESUME OF THE LIVES OF


                                  MRS. W. S. GALLOWAY (1957)

Note: She is the granddaughter of Colonel George and died at the age 103 years.

Nancy Johnson Veale, Nannie as always called, was the daughter of Sarah Arrel and Colonel Fielding Johnson, and was born in Petersburg, Indiana, May 23, 1838. She spent her early girlhood in Evansville, Indiana, Bowling Green, Kentucky, and New Orleans, where her parents spent the winters, going by streamer down the Mississippi. The palatial river-boats afforded the maximum amount of comfort and speed in travel in the forties.

Mrs. Veale, whose life has been filled with romance and adventure, and the varied and dangerous undertakings of the pioneer, sustaining her first great experience when only a mere child. Her mother and father had taken her little brother, an infant in arms, to spend the winter.

Suddenly, a scourge of yellow fever swept over New Orleans, and everyone who could,  endeavored to flee the city. Mrs. Veale’s father felt that he could not leave his business, so he remained in New Orleans but made speedy arrangements for reservations for his family on one of the two steam boats about to embark for the North. The family was entrusted to the care of a beloved relative, Uncle Foster, who was leaving on the same boat.

Soon after the two boats were started up the Mississippi, it became evident that they were racing: that there was a wager, with high stakes set up over which boat would reach first the destination. Such races, although fraught with great hazard, were frequent on the rivers in those days. So fast they traveled these two boats that many passengers feared the great strain on the engines would cause an explosion. They had left the Mississippi, and were steaming up the Ohio approaching Smithland, Kentucky, when the boat which Mrs. Veale’s mother, uncle,  little brother and herself were passengers, burst its boilers. Above the white clouds of sizzling steam, and screams of passengers, flew great pieces of iron and woodwork. Many were killed and many more injured. The little family miraculously escaped alive, but the mother survived the shock only a few years. Nannie’s legs were scalded to the knees by the steam. All her life long she bore those scars, the peculiar color of seared flesh. The family was taken ashore at Smithland and as soon as they were able to travel, Uncle Foster procured wagon in which he placed the injured victims on featherbeds, and thus the completed their journey to Evansville, Indiana. Her mother died soon after when Nannie was a mere child.

 Her father, Fielding Johnson, a friend of Abraham Lincoln, who sometimes visited at the Johnson home in Evansville, and later during his campaigning at their home in Quindaro, Kansas. After Lincoln became president, his first appointment was to make Fielding Johnson agent for Delaware Indians. At this time President Lincoln presented Fielding Johnson with a cane which was in a form of a long stiletto-like blade encased in a bamboo stick and provided with an ivory grip. This cane Grandma Veale always kept handy in the corner of her bedroom. I am sure she would have had the fortitude to use it upon any molester. The cane remains in the possession of the family

Nannie’s grandfather, Thomas Johnson, came from Kentucky to Indiana, about the time it was organized as a territory. He was made secretary to Indian’s first Governor, General Harrison, and fought with him in the Tippecanoe campaign against the Indians. He was a member of the first constitutional convention of Indiana, where he took a prominent part in the formulation of that states constitution. And for many years he served as a member of the State legislature. Her great-grandfather fought in the War of the Revolution with the troops from Virginia.

Nannie Johnson attended Anderson’s Female Seminary in New Albany, Indiana. And it was there that she crossed the Ohio River into Louisville, Kentucky, to hear a concert by Jennie Lind, who was on her initial tour of the United States in 1851, and who received a great ovation in Louisville. Mr. Johnson paid ten dollars for Nannie’s seat at the concert, a great price in those days.

Colonel George Washington Veale, who gave half a century to his career of public usefulness, and who was one of the conspicuous figures in making Kansas history, was born May 20, 1833, on a farm near Comer’s Point near Washington, Indiana. He was descended from one of the oldest of American families, which originally settled in the Colony of Jamestown, Virginia in 1640

Note: In Daviess County, Indiana, Comer’s Point is located Washington Township about three miles north east of the Veale homestead property. Our contact for information into the Jamestown, Virginia records comes from Margaret Windley, 443 Douglas Avenue, Portsmouth, Virginia 23707. She is the Historian for Monumental United Methodist Church in Portsmouth, VA windley@verizon.net it was she who believes that a Rev. James Veale to be our James’ father (RLV)

His grandfather, James C. Veale, was a native of South Carolina, a patriot under Sumter in the War of the Revolution. James removed his family consisting of his wife and eight children to Daviess County, Indiana, making the trip by wagons and accompanied by nine slaves. They settled a homestead were James C. lived until his death in 1841, aged ninety-three.

Corrections: James Carr Veale I was born March 19, 1763 in Loudoun County, Virginia, he was removed to South Carolina in 1780 with his father. Here he entered the War of Revolution on Union County, South Carolina and did only leave service for a period of six weeks, while he was out with smallpox. He reentered the service in Maryland and was returned to South Carolina and remained in service until 1785.

My Comments:
It was James Carr Veale II who came to the Indiana Territory in 1806 with his slave, “Sam” and it was they who built the saw-mill in what is now known as Veale Creek. James Carr Veale I and family came to the territory a year later, via barges, going down the Big Rivers. They stopped in the Territorial Capital at Vincennes, Knox County, Indiana where they purchased 640 acres of land in what is currently known as Veale Township, Daviess County, Indiana, for the price of $1.00 per acre from funds of selling his granted property in South Carolina.

History of James Carr Veale I: Recent records of Daviess County, Indiana (the Application for Pension for James Carr Veale shows that he was born March 17, 1763 in Loudoun County, Virginia. He entered the War of Revolution in Chester District, South Carolina in 1780 he arrived in the Territory Capital on June 10, 1807 and Daviess County, Indiana on June 13, 1807. The Daviess County, Indiana records proves that he died January 14, 1839 in Veale Township, Daviess County, Indiana. His will bears out this factor. And lastly, the mode of travel in the early 1800’s into the Indiana Territory was not by wagons. At this time the Wilderness Roads, North to South went from Maine to Georgia, and the east-west was from Maryland to Pittsburg, Pennsylvania where the three rivers meet. The mode of travel from this point was “Down the Big Rivers” by mule towed barges. Most of the early settlers to Indiana were transported by Frank Hawkins, whose Fort was just north of the Veale, Lett, Aikman, and Coleman homesteads in Veale Township along the West Fork of White River to where the Thomas homestead was located. The first major trail in Indiana was built by the Spinks, Hyatt’s & Veale’s and went from Washington, Indiana to Louisville, Kentucky. The Hawkins Fort was in Washington Township near where the Thomas homestead is located. The Veale involved in building the first major trail to Louisville, Kentucky was James Carr Veale the son of John Townsend Veale, the youngest son of James I. The original homesteads were all located on the West Fork of White River near Maysville, Indiana, which was the hub of shipping of produce until the coming of the railroads, it was then Washington became the center of activities. (RLV)
During the War of 1812, the Veale’s and Aikman Family, who had pioneered from Sheppardstown, Virginia, were taken to Comer’s Fort for protection while men were away fighting Indians and the British.


In no way is this to belittle the masterful writing of Mrs. Galloway but only to discuss more recent finds and facts. There is no doubt that the War of 1812 is correct, however, after an extensive search there is no documentation to confirm who served in the War of 1812. No muster rolls, no pension applications. Beings that the listed families lived only 21 miles from Vincennes, ad that they too had problems with the Indians, that some or maybe all of these men did serve in the War of 1812 (RLV)

James C. Veale (II) (father of George W.) was nineteen when the family arrived in Indiana. He taught the first school established in the county and continued until he enlisted in 1812 and joined General Harrison in his campaign against Tecumseh. He was wounded at the battle of Vincennes.


James Carr Veale II was born November 13, 1786 in Union County, South Carolina and arrived in Indiana Territory in 1806 according to Fulkerson’s History of Daviess County, Indiana, this would make him 20 years of age in 1806. He, James came a year prior to his father and family. He brought his slave Sam with him. The History of Knox and Daviess County records lists the students who attended the first school of Daviess County, Indiana relates that two of his sons attended this school. The two sons named were John and Waitis, sons of James Carr Veale I. Making James I the first teacher of the County. This first school was held in the log cabin church at Maysville, Indiana and closed in 1821, not 1812 as listed. Although General Harrison was the first Governor of Indiana and he did command the Battle
Against Tecumseh, it is so difficult to confirm his troops. Richard Alan Veale, my nephew conducted an extensive search into this matter at Knox County Records Office (Territorial Capital Records) only to find that very poor records were kept on those persons who served in the Indian battles. The only documentation found comes from the LDS files found in Virginia. They show that Daniel Veale, James Veale II, and William Veale served under Major Robb’s fighting Indians at Vincennes in 1810. We can only assume that this be fact, as Major Robb in not even listed in the Officer Roster of General Harrison. The LDS files indicate that they served in the Indiana Militia and that James Veale was wounded in the Battle in Vincennes. The point of being wounded is confirmed. James Carr Veale II and Eleanor had a son named William “Thomas” Veale who married Susan Dickerson and they had a son named Zadock Dickerson Veale. Before the death of “Zed” he related to me and his two sons, Ralph & Zed that James II was buried with a bullet in his hand. The three of us are still alive and can verify this statement given us by “Zed” (RLV) 


In 1813 he, James II married Eleanor Aikman, who had been born in 1791 at Sheppardstown, Virginia. She had received a fine education before leaving Virginia, and was a woman of rare charm and capability. James C. and Aikman Veale began housekeeping on a farm at Comer’s Point.  He died at the age of seventy-one, on the original homestead as had his father. His wife lived to be eighty-one. They were one of the most esteemed and honored pioneer families of Indiana. They became the parents of eleven children of whom George Washington Veale was the youngest.

Notes: In our studies were still two children short. Secondly, from early land transactions, it was James I & Lavina who deeded the property to James II & Eleanor, this quarter section is where the Old Veale Family Cemetery is located.

George attended county schools for about three months each year until he was seventeen years, when he entered Wabash College, where he studied for two years.

He then took charge of a steamboat loaded with goods for trade with planters and country merchants on the banks of the lower Mississippi. Later on, he became a clerk on a steamer from Louisville to New Orleans. This employment led to a mercantile life, and when he was twenty-one, he settled down to a steady business clerk in a wholesale dry-goods house in Evansville, where he soon became traveling and collecting agent for the house. Here he remained until his marriage.

Nannie Johnson, who by this time was considered a beauty and a great belle, and George Washington Veale married January 20, 1857 in Evansville, Indiana. She was eighteen years old and he was twenty-three. Her father, Colonel Fielding Johnson, who had gone to Kansas in 1856, gave his consent to marry of the young couple provided they would agree to join him in pioneering to Kansas.

So they began their honeymoon by embarking on the steamer White Cloud, which later was to play an important and tragic part of the Civil War. The boat was laden with arms and supplies for the frontier United States Fort Leavenworth. It steamed down the Ohio, ascended the Mississippi to St. Louis, passed Kansas City, then up the Missouri, passed Kansas City and Wyandotte to the river town of Quindaro, where the young bride and groom disembarked in a land where conflict ran high between free-state men and pro-slavery, in a land which was a hunting ground for hostile Indiana, and a pasture for buffaloes; where for years after, they braved drought as well as blizzard, and unfriendly Indian, and the unknown prairies.

Here, George W. Veale, age twenty-three, took a most active and progressive part of everything connected with Quinardo and Eastern Kansas, in those enterprising and early days. Together with a friend, he edited and published a newspaper, called by the Indian name, the Chin-du-Wan. He was appointed the first count sheriff by President Buchanan. He become a part owner of the steam boat, Otis Webb, which plied on the Missouri River, between Leavenworth and Quindaro, and on the Kansas River between Lawrence and Topeka.

He aided in the early day transportation by driving ox-team freight train between Missouri towns and Topeka. He established a steam ferry, also a large merchandise store. He was one of the Kansas men to sigh the call for the railroad convention of 1860. He was one of the organizers of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway.

Lincoln’s call to arms, in our Civil War, came in 1861 and George W. Veale was among the first to respond. It is said that he received one of the first commissions issued to any Kansas person for the War of Rebellion. His family is still in possession of that commission as well as other commissions during this period of the war. He recruited his own volunteer company, and went into service as a Captain, and assigned to the Fourth Kansas Infantry. A year later, Captain Veale’s company was transferred to the Sixth Kansas Calvary, of which he afterwards became a Major.

 To Mrs. Veale belongs the distinction of making the first United States flag ever make in Kansas. While Mr. Veale was raising his company, Mrs. Veale decoded that the loved ones of his men, who were enlisting, should themselves make the battle flag for their soldier boys. She mounted her Indian pony and rode to Wyandotte County, asking families of the enlisted men to subscribe money to buy materials for the flag. As times were very hard, no one was permitted to give more money than twenty-five cents.

Having getting the required amount of money, she rode on seven miles farter, through the dense timberland considered most dangerous because of Indiana and border ruffians, across the pontoon bridge over the river to Emery Brothers store in Kansas City, Missouri, where she bought the silk materials for the flag, and returned to Quindaro after dusk. The next day, Mrs. Veale invited twenty-four women to her home for dinner, and they all sewed the flag. Her father, Fielding Johnson directed the work getting the proper proportions of the flag, and cutting the pattern for the stars. The women stitched the entire flag by hand as that was before the day of sewing machines, When the flag was finished, it was presented by the young women to the company of their soldier boys. It was later captured in a skirmish. Because of this incident of flag making, the news-papers  have often called Mrs. Veale the Betsy Ross of Kansas

Colonel Veale was considered as a brilliant and daring soldier; his entire military record shows a skill and bravery which upheld his father, James C. Veale fought in the War of 1812 (?), and his grandfather, James Carr Veale who fought in the War of the Revolution.

At the battle of Big Blue, Colonel Veale was first in command, where it is said “heroic service under fearful odds”. He was out numbered ten to one, but history shows that the fierce defense his small regiment made on this occasion turned the tide of Price’s invading army south and thus saved the state of Kansas from being plundered.

In this battle he lost thirty-six men, twelve were taken prisoner, twenty-four killed, besides twenty others were wounded. After this engagement, he gathered the dead of this regiment at his own expense had them buried on a hill east of the city, which is now Topeka Cemetery. Here, many years later, G. G. Gage, who served under Colonel Veale, erected a ten thousand-dollar monument in memory of that battle and the men who died there.

Colonel Veale was wounded on top of his head by a piece of shell bursting in a tree overhead, and carried the scar all of his life.

He always paid great tribute to the men under his command in the Battle of the Blue, saying. The courage of my men is deserving of the highest praise and valor and coolness displayed by my officers cannot be too highly recommended.

Colonel Veale’s army chair and saber, which he carried all through the Civil Was, as well as his portrait and that of Mrs. Veale, are now in Memorial Hall, Topeka, Kansas.

In May 1914, with a suitable and impressive ceremony, Colonel Veale was asked, as commander of the regiment, to place the old battle flag of the 6th Kansas Calvary in the fireproof vault of the new marble Memorial Hall. Sixteen other survivors of this regiment accompanied Colonel Veale as a guard of honor for the old flag under which they fought more than fifty years ago.

After the Indian warfare, Colonel Veale worked for three years on the plans freighting by ox-team government supplies to Fort Hays, Fort Union, N. M., and Denver City, Colorado. In the supplies was flour worth twenty-one dollars for a hundred pound sack.

Topeka was but a hamlet when Colonel and Mrs. Veale came here to live. They bought a tract of ground at Seventh Street and Quincy from the original town-site company and built their home considered a show place in those early days. It set amid trees and rolling green lawns doted with beds of Luxurious flowers. There was also a large summer house on the property entirely covered with purple wisteria. In this home were installed the first electric lights, the first bathroom, and the first furnace to be put into any Topeka house.

Because of the cordial hospitality of the Veale’s, their kindly and courteous manner, their spacious home became a social center. One of the first large affairs was in honor of President U. S. Grant, Mrs. Grant, their son and daughter-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Grant, and their party, who were guests of the Veale’s while stopping in Topeka on an extended hunting trip in the West. Every Governor of Kansas, every United Senator and nearly every Congressman from Kansas, from the time the State was admitted into the Union until the Veale home was torn down to make way for the City Auditorium, were entertained there.

     (Picture of the Veale home was published in the Daily Capital, August 03, 1912)

Colonel Veale, who was an ardent Republican all of his life, served in the Kansas Legislature for eighteen years, being elected to both the Senate and House.

No more picturesque than Mrs. Veale has been identified with the history of Topeka and Kansas. She had come from a home of luxury in the East, but like all other courageous young women who accompanied their husbands to a new country, had to use much ingenuity and labor to supply the needs of a pioneer family. She learned how to make her own candles for lighting the home; how to make her own soap; how to make her starch; and during the war, how to grind, by hand; the dried corn which finished the only substitute they had from which to make their coffee.

Her cleverness and quick wit saved her from many trying experiences with the Indians and Ruffians who prowled about her early home. A good illustration of her quick with and resourcefulness is provided by the incident of that Quantrill raids and massacres of Lawrence, Kansas. Topeka had been alerted that they were next on Quantrill’s list and had ordered all women and children confined within a hurriedly built stockade, but before Mrs. Veale took her family away from her home, she took her jewelry, silverware and other valuables to the orchard, climbed an apple tree and tied her valuables to the upper limbs, knowing that the Guerillas would only be looting and destroying buildings after massacred the men folk. Eventually word came from Quantrill that Topeka was prepared for a hot battle and he went back to Missouri.

With her indomitable will, she could accomplish whatever she undertook to do. She was always interested in politics and current affairs of the state as well as matters of nationwide affairs. In the legislatures of the seventy and eighties, she was a lobbyist for suffrage and many benevolent causes for the welfare of women.

Suring the seventies, when Kansas coffers had been depleted by drought and ravages of grasshoppers, Mrs. Veale was called upon by Alfred Gray, the hen Secretary of State to evolve some plan by which they could raise enough money to furnish a room and but a fountain for the Centennial in Philadelphia. She planned a series of benefit tea parties with unusual decorations, and with the assistance of other Topeka ladies, raised the necessary funds. A printed program of this affair, called the Official organ of the Centennial tea party and was dated January 25, 1876, has been given by the family to Memorial Hall.

Mrs. Veale was first cousin of John W. Foster, Diplomat: Minister to Mexico to Russia at the time of the assassination of Alexander II, Minister to Spain; Secretary of State in the President Benjamin Harrison’s cabinet; Plenipotentiary to China and Japan at the time of Assassination of Li Hung Chang; and acknowledged authority on International Law. Mrs. Veale was also cousin of Robert Lancing, wife of the Secretary of State under Woodrow Wilson.

Even in her advanced years, Mrs. Veale always lived in the present and read her daily newspaper regularly. A frail piece of lovely old lace, she retained in old age those  traces of beauty and high spirit, which her youth made her a society belle, and later on, a leader and moving spirit that required great energy and quick wit.

In a short time after coming to Topeka, Colonel Veale helped organize the Bank of Topeka, now the National Bank of Topeka, and was made Vice President of that institution. Later, he became one of the organizers of the Topeka State Bank.

Mr. Veale was one of the founders in 1865 of Lincoln College, the precursor of Washburn College. He donated $1,000.00, one thousand dollars, and a quarter section of land towards the first building; and when the funds ran out before its completion, he gave three hundred dollars more so that the work might be finished in time for classes to open before the fall. During the ensuing years, especially during the time of Lincoln College was located on the present site of Memorial Hall, Colonel Veale gave liberally of his own money and help to keep it going. His elder son attended school there, as well as his granddaughter, Nancy Veale Galloway, and his grandson, Tinkham Veale were both   graduated from Washburn. The top-roller desk and chair used by Colonel Veale at the territorial legislature of Kansas, together with other memories, were given after his death by Mrs. Veale to the college.

During the grasshopper invasion of Kansas, Colonel Veale helped hundreds of people it was in 1874, that the grasshoppers invaded Kansas by the millions. They devoured completely all the crops, ate the leaves, and fruits leaving only peach stones hanging on bare branches, colonel Veale was then in the mercantile business, came to the rescue of the people by selling them commodities on credit, for prices just about cost.

In 1866, because of his tact and sound judgment of land values, he was appointed by the
Governor of Kansas commissioner for the sale of railroad lands in Kansas.

He was the proprietor of the Topeka Commonwealth, which for years the leading newspaper of Kansas. As owner of this paper, he figured prominently in the famous Pomeroy incident.

He and Mrs. Veale were members of the first library committee in Topeka and were instrumental in raising the money for this building.

He was tax commissioner for the Union Pacific Railroad for twenty years, and President of the Kansas State Fair Association. He was a member of the Kansas State Historical Society, and its president in 1907-1980. (?) suggest 1907-1908 (RLV)

He was a cleaver debater and an active lobbyist, and because of this, was sent to Washington, D. C. to lobby for the $100,000.00 appropriation for the Federal Building, which he won. This building stood for many years at Fifth & Kansas Avenue, besides more than one hundred residences. He was the last distinguished service in the capacity of a legislature.

In the late eighties, Colonel Veale built the Veale block on Quincy Street. He also built many other business buildings on Kansas Avenue, besides more than one hundred residences. He had receipts to show that he had paid Shawnee County more than $100,000.00 in taxes.

Mr. Veale joined the Masonic Order in 1866 and was a charter member of the Topeka Lodge # 17, A. F. & A. M., and of Topeka Commandery. He was a member of the Red Cross and the Lincoln Post # 1 of the Grand Army of the Republic.

It has been said that in the early days, Colonel Veale was the only Chamber of Commerce that Topeka ever had. The city profited in so many ways by his energy and public spirit. He was a courtly gentleman of dignified presence and generous nature. Both he and Mrs. Veale were always interested in any undertaking that would bespeak progress for their state, and to these enterprises gave their own time and means with a lavished hand.

Their married life together numbers fifty-nine years and even to the last romance seemed to be fresh and beautiful. The Colonel died November 28, 1916, aged eighty-three. He was buried in the same cemetery where lie the comrades he himself buried who fell in the battle of Blue. Mrs. Veale passed away on June 25, 1993, age ninety-five. She is also buried in Topeka Cemetery.

Colonel Veale gained the title of the Grand Old Man of Kansas. He was revered by all classes of people for the services he rendered his city and State almost every line of public activity. One biographer has said “When history’s perspective rearranges the men and events of today and yesterday according to the parts they played in the formation of the State, the name of Colonel George W. Veale undoubtedly will be among those at the top of the list”. “The name of Colonel George W. Veale, Topeka newspaper man, banker, railroad builder, college founder, lobbyist at Washington, debater, legislator, merchant, philanthropist, Indian fighter, pioneer, soldier, recognized leader in all civic endeavor belongs to the annals of Topeka and Kansas:”.

My Comments:

One could continue with this man’s obituary and other writings. However, this writing of Mrs. Galloway says it all real well.

Again one must thank Thomas M. Veale for sharing this valuable information with us, so that, we all can appreciate the true values of our Colonel George Washington Veale Senior. It has been my pleasure to have and to work with such great documentation. (RLV)

Mrs. Galloway also provided the names of the family members, of which I will also use in this writing. (RLV)